If you’ve been using Apple’s Family Sharing to use Things on your devices, you might run into this error message. This page explains what it means and how you can try to work around it.
The message “This app is no longer shared with you” can occur when you didn’t buy the app yourself, but it has been shared with you by a family member via Apple’s Family Sharing.
Some users have reported that they suddenly receive this warning and they no longer use the app. That happens despite Things being enabled for Family Sharing.
Here’s what you can try to resolve this issue:
- Reboot your devices.
- Make sure that the family member who initially shared the app with you is still sharing the app.
- Make sure that you're not exceeding Apple’s limits on how many people or devices can be in a family group. Please refer to Apple’s official documentation for details.
- Some online discussions suggest offloading affected apps, and then installing them again. Some customers have reported success using this method, but we can’t guarantee it because we do not control this process. We recommend you research this topic yourself.
How your to-dos are affected
Since you won’t be able to use Things on your device anymore for as long as this message comes up, you should try to resolve the issue first by looking through the tips above.
If none of the tips help, and you need to delete Things, please bear in mind that deleting the app could result in data loss unless:
- You have Things running successfully on another device and can see your to-dos there.
- You’ve enabled Things Cloud in the past and uploaded your to-dos.
If you had to delete Things, here’s how to restore your data:
- The easiest way to restore your data is to simply log into your Things Cloud account.
- Alternatively, you can restore your data from a backup.
iPad & iPhone
If you delete Things from your iPad & iPhone, all the to-dos inside of the app will be deleted as well. If you offload an app (see tips above), the data should remain intact, but we can’t guarantee this as we have no control over that process.
- If you have been using Things Cloud, you’ll be able to sign into your account and restore your to-dos.
- If you don’t use Things Cloud, but have exported your database at some point, you can restore it by importing it via the Mac (trial) app and uploading your data through Things Cloud. We can assist you with these steps. Please contact us.
- If you don’t use Things Cloud, and have not manually backed up your database, there’s nothing to restore from. You’ll have to start with a clean slate if you delete the app.
If you’re still stuck
Since Family Sharing is part of Apple’s App Store program, we have no way of checking why you are seeing this message. Please reach out to Apple support to resolve this issue if the tips above didn’t fix it.