Here’s how to use Reminders Inbox to move individual to-dos from Apple’s Reminders app to Things.
In some situations, it might be easier to create to-dos in Apple’s Reminders app, and then move them into Things.
If you’re looking to switch to Things from Reminders app and want to migrate all your Reminders in one go, please check out these instructions.
Here are a few examples when using Reminders Inbox is helpful:
- You can ask Siri to create a Reminder in a specific list in Reminders app. Things can be set up to offer you to-dos from this list in the Inbox, ready to be moved.
- When you’re using a non-Apple device, you can quickly add Reminders via the iCloud web interface. Once iCloud syncs them to your Apple device, you can move them into Things.
Enable Reminders Inbox
- On your Mac, open Things.
- In the menu bar at the top of your screen, click Things → Settings → Reminders Inbox.
- Check the box for Show to-dos from to enable it.
- If you’re prompted to allow access to your reminders, click OK.
- Click the dropdown box and choose your preferred list.
If you like to create Reminders through Siri and move them into Things later, you should set a default Reminders list to which Siri will add your tasks. To do that, go to Reminders, and in the menu bar at the top of the screen, click Reminders → Settings → Default List.
iPad & iPhone
- On your iPad or iPhone, open Things.
- Tap → Reminders Inbox.
- Turn Reminders Inbox on.
- If you’re prompted to allow access to your reminders, tap OK.
- Tap into List and choose your preferred list.
- In the top-right, tap Done.
If you like to create Reminders through Siri and move them into Things later, you should set a default Reminders list to which Siri will add your tasks. To do that, go to Settings → Reminders and choose a Default List.
You can use Siri to speak Reminders on your Apple Watch, which will then be created in the Reminders app on your iPhone. From there, you can move them into Things, as explained in the iPad & iPhone tab above.
Move Reminders items into Things
If there are any Reminders ready to move, you will see them in the Inbox on your Mac, iPad, or iPhone under the heading From Reminders. You have to enable this feature in Things on each of your devices to see Reminders available for import. When you import them, they will move from the Reminders list into Things.
It may be helpful to understand that we are merely displaying these Reminders in Things’ Inbox; until you actually move them, they do not exist in your Things database as actual to-dos. Once you have moved a Reminder, its corresponding item is conveniently deleted from the Reminders app – this keeps everything tidy.
Why can’t I see all Reminders items in Things’ Inbox?
Apple’s Reminders app allows you to create different kinds of Reminders. Some of them are not supported by Things, and for others Apple doesn’t let us access the additional data. Since we delete the to-dos from Reminders app when you move them into Things, we hide the following types of Reminders from Things’ Inbox to avoid data loss:
- Location based reminders
- Reminders with attachments
- Reminders with sub-tasks
- Reminders with recurrence rules
- Reminders configured to show up when messaging a person
- Reminders created by saying ‘Siri, remind me of this’.
If you move a Reminder with a flag or priority into Things, Apple doesn’t tell us about those properties and so we cannot apply them to the to-dos in Things. You have to tag these to-dos again after moving them into Things.